Photo via Pinterest
We are avid believers that when you are pregnant you don’t need to change your personal style – you just need to know which shapes work on a growing belly and avoid the majority of the (often unfashionable and over-priced) maternity wear out there. That is until you want a pair of jeans. Here, after you’ve outgrown the hair band trick (explained here) you will want to purchase at least one pair of jeans to last throughout your pregnancy. It can be overwhelming so we have narrowed it down for you…
A pair of skinny jeans are a great wardrobe staple – wear with oversize top, leather jacket and trainers – simple but effective. They also work well dressed up for evening.
As your bump expands (along with everything else!) or if the weather is particularly warm then you may prefer the relaxed fit of boyfriend jeans over skinnies. White look fresh for summer if you’re brave (and don’t have a small person wiping their grubby hands on you).
A quick way to update your maternity jeans is by doing a bit of DIY distressing. This can be anything from chopping off the hems and fraying, to ripped knees and using a cheese grater (yes really!) to achieve that worn look.
BEST OF THE REST
For those of you who want something different – we’ve found the best of the rest.
OUR TOP TIPS
- Never buy anything too tight – size up if needs be, you will get much bigger throughout the 9 months.
- If you find yourself in between sizes or maternity jeans uncomfortable (as I did until I was about 30 weeks) then try jogger style/elasticated waisted trousers instead. There are plenty of non-maternity styles out there.
- Over-bump jeans work during the winter but in summer you may get very sweaty and prefer under-bump.
- Even if you’re not a skinny jeans girl normally they’re worth trying – a bump will balance out the lower half of your body.
- Always show a bit of ankle either by rolling or cutting the hem. This is both flattering and modern.
- It is a case of trial and error – try on lots of different brands and styles to find what works for you.